Wednesday, October 17, 2007

OLD HABITS

I'm doing it again.  I promised myself I wouldn't, but I'm doing it again.  I'm prowling the web for information, anything... new or old, about my son, his unit, his base, and OIF in general.  I even visited the Final Roll Call site (so sad, I cry every time).  I need help!  And truffles!  Yeah, chocolate truffles.  And maybe some stinky smoked oysters.  And wine?  From a box?  Circa 2006?  Yeah, that would do the trick!  I'm feeling better just thinking about it.

Dickidoo is still in the woods with the Geriatric Hunting Club.  Thats what I call him and his little group of hunting buddies.  I keep threatening to get him a walker, cover it with camo duct tape and slap a gun rack on it, with maybe a little toilet paper holder on one side.  I haven't heard from him since the day he left last week.  They should be home today or tomorrow.  I hope he's over his cold by now.  Its been so peaceful in the house without all of his hacking and coughing.  Still, it'll be nice to have someone to pick on again.    The house really has been almost too quiet. 

Art and Becca leave for the State Marching Band Championship in Fort Collins tomorrow.  They are currently 8th in their division.  Yay Mesa Ridge!  Hopefully they will make it to the finals and Dickidoo will drive us up on Saturday to watch them compete.

Its been nice having Zack back home.  He's still a computer hog though.  He has a new laptop, but he doesn't like the little finger pad thingie so he's always on this thing.  What a guy!  I'm making him buy a mouse for the laptop today!  We only have him for another week or so.  Dickidoo's friend who got him the job is already calling to ask when he is coming back.  Hey, I just got him back!  Give me a second buddy!  Grrrrrr!  Oh well, they won't hold his job forever.  I just hope he has time to get his license before he leaves again.

Well, Rocky is home sick today, with the flu most likely.  I just fed her breakfast and now she's acting bored so I better go and give her a little TLC, poor little thing.  If she's feeling bad now, she's going to feel like kaa-kaa tomorrow!  Ah, but Daddy will be home by then.  Dickidoo tends to fuss over his little girls when they get sick.  Hmmmm, what about me Big Guy, huh?  What about me!  I was sick first!  I gave you the cooties, remember?  When do I get some of that TLC huh?  Grrrrrrrrrrrr!  I hate being self sufficient sometimes.  Oh well, where are those truffles?

Only happy thoughts for Camp Striker.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Dorn...you have a talent to make me laugh. Chocolate and wine sounds delish. You have so much coming and going you seem to need a revolving door for the folks...Hope everyone feels better. Joe has a laptop but I don't like the pad thing either after using a mouse, you have more control. Keeping Gabe in my prayers...love, Sandi

Anonymous said...

Have a good evening.
Missie

Anonymous said...

The first thing I do every morning after I put the kettle on for my tea is light Gabe's candle and just say outloud, "Be safe, Gabe."  It makes me feel better. I think of your family like kin.

Anonymous said...

{{{ Jody }}}  I can only imagine being in your shoes... must be so hard... Hang in there... drink some wine, eat some chocolate and know that I am sending you and Gabe real prayers and lots of hugs.

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

hope hes home soon

Anonymous said...

It's so good that you can talk yourself into a better mood when you're obsessing a little.  I don't see how you do it every day.  I hope you hear from Gabe soon.  I hope Rocky is feeling better soon, that Dickidoo comes home with a nice trophy, that Art and Becca do well in their marching band competition, and that Zach gets a mouse for his laptop!  My laptop has the little finger board thingy, and I don't much like it either, but I got used to it.  I also have a mouse that I can attach depending on where I am and what I'm using it for.  Take care, and enjoy your truffles! :)
Lori

Anonymous said...

Sending only the best thoughts.  I would be a mess if I were in the same boat.  And I'd be eating truffles.
Traci

Anonymous said...

have a good weekend:) hope all feel better:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

does that make you the cootie queen???  jk, lol.  i understand how hard it is to have family away from you, especially while there is a war going on.  dorn, always know that many are praying for you and yours.  if i had a way, i would send you choco truffles.  we sell them right by my cash register at work.  but they melt so easily.  good idea getting a mouse.  i hate the little finger thingie too, but since i moved out of the wicked witch's domain, i don't have use of a laptop anymore.

may all of you thrive and enjoy the coming holidays.

(oh, and i see you haven't posted much lately either.....now i don't feel so bad)

regina

Anonymous said...

Hope you get to feeling better and get some chocolate truffles soon!  Hugs,TerryAnn

Anonymous said...

Hi Dorn,

            I hope everything is ok.  It's been awhile since we heard from you.  Hope you and your family are well!  Just thinking of you all!