Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Life's different now... (or Learning to Adult on my own)

I'm on the downslide of 50 and have only just recently taken an active role in managing my credit score.  Well, it's been a year, but it's paid off.

I'm finally in the triple digits!

Kidding.
Actually, I'm in the green.
Green is 'Good'.

I have a cute little ground floor apartment, which I share with my sister.  The utilities are all inclusive except for cable, internet and telephone.  I own my car, even though I didn't buy it.  I have a fulltime job with benefits.  I have a decent life insurance policy so in the unlikely event of my untimely death, my kids won't have to stash me in the freezer until they can get enough from a GoFundMe page to cremate me.... which is just as well since their father just posted that he was getting rid of the freezer/cryonic pet mortuary which is the only freezer my fat arse will fit in.

This is hardly how I envisioned my life as a half-centurion.  I thought I'd be working towards my retirement, when in fact I'm only one year in.  I thought I'd be playing Bingo every Monday night at the Senior Center, and having cookouts with the kids on Sundays.  Sadly, my neighbors are no longer neighbors and I found myself actually sharing living space with a few of my children and other family members for a while until I was able to make it on my own. I thought my hair would be turning silver with the man who said he wanted to watch it happen.  Instead, I watch his hair turn while he watches someone else.  Some days are easier than others to be happy for them.  

But, for all the heartache and frustration, I would not change it for the world.  Being pushed out of my nest and comfort zone forced me to forge my own way and opened doors to opportunities that would have been missed had I remained in my former situation.

So while I will stop short of saying 'Hey, thanks to falling out of love with me and breaking our wedding vows', I will admit that life is good now.

Very good!

4 comments:

Sly said...

I love your outlook Jody!! You're my hero.

Gigi said...

I have read your blog for years, I have always enjoyed it.. I wish you would post more often..
I have missed reading it.. You are to funny..
I'm glad you are doing well now.. I know things were rough for a while..

Dornbrau said...

Thank you ladies. It feels good to be back in the saddle.

Melanie said...

Very healthy outlook!! and I agree with GiGi....you are very funny!