Monday, May 16, 2005

GRADUATION GLITCH

The school just called me a little while ago.  It seems Zack still has a couple of books out and they will be holding his report card and diploma ransom until the debt is resolved.

Huh? 

Apparently these books were left over from his junior year.  Now wait a minute, I specifically recall going in last summer, before our trip to California, to pay for a missing book and to clear up the mess regarding the other two books which Zack insisted had already been turned in.  Restitution was made a missing book, and the secretary took care of the others after flipping through an index card file.  I was given the report card.  So why is this being brought up again?  I was instructed to go to the office, with any receipts I may have and take it up with them.

Well, I found the checkbook and it clearly stated that the book we had paid for was an Algebra book.  The book that was still missing was an English book and a copy of The Great Gatsby.  Wonderful!  I started tearing through every bookshelf, box, any place a book might be hiding.  To my surprise not only did I find the missing books, but I found 2 other classroom novels, and a second copy of the English text book!  Anyhow, as I was getting ready to take the books to the school, the woman from the admin office called to inform me that my son had been cleared of all missing book charges and would be receiving his diploma when he walked the stage instead of getting an empty folder as originally threatened.  I had to laugh, and I thanked her but told her that I had found the books and would be dropping them off shortly along with a few extras.  I wonder if the school will give me credit for the books they didn't know they were missing?  I've still got 3 more kids to get through high school and I'm sure there will be more missing text books in the years to come.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have had missing or "ruined" textbooks every year since my son has been in HS. One year the dog ate 2 of his books - no lie!  I will keep my fingers crossed that he graduates w/o any book mishaps next month.
Congrats to Zack!  

Anonymous said...

I hardly ever comment, but thought I'd tell ya.... I love your journal.  Your entries almost always leave me with a smile on my face.  Congrats to your son, he's very handsome.  Oooooooooooh, and your pictures are great too.  Especially loved the trampoline pics and the zoo pics.  LOL, priceless....

Anonymous said...

LMAO...you know they won't. (He's such a cutie, I know you can't believe he's graduating). COngratulations on a job well done, Mom!

xoxoxo,
andi

Anonymous said...

congrats to zack
heck i think i still have a text book at my mothers from high school that i never even got the chance to turn in turn in everything and forgot about those but whatever too late now lol
~Kristina

Anonymous said...

ALMAO. You should hold those extras back, so you have them for future bargaining leverage.
-Paul

Anonymous said...

worse textbook story in the entire world....
my Mariah threw up in all her textbooks one year. they were all by the side of her bed...
since I am a kind person, i wont give any more details!
Marti

Anonymous said...

Omg....it this story isn't in my future.

My son ALWAYS has books lost in his room.  I actually HATE for library books to come home.  It's high risk!!
:)

Glad you're all straightened out!!

Anonymous said...

Wtg Zach! Missing books? Boy have I heard that many a time!
Love your journal and the pictures.

Anonymous said...

How funny . It just seems like they were trying to upset you . Some times I wonder what kind of people take care of our kids during school hours.
Hugs, R.c.

Anonymous said...

Same thing happened with my three....I think I paid for half the books in the school! One time they lost my daughters medical records...I went nuts - I had to recreate and get a doctor to sign off on her "new" record, again they threatened not to let her into the next grade. From that point on I took photocopies of everything I handed in to her school, so of course nothing got "lost" again.....
How many more do you have to go???  Sandi

Anonymous said...

I'm going through the last minute glitches too!! Lissa has to make up a couple of days she missed and failed to bring a note, so we are scrambling to get her to the make-up sessions so she can walk with her class!!! LOL!!! Penny

Anonymous said...

Milord...another reason to homeschool!  He is SOOOO handsome!

Anonymous said...

Dont you hate when that happens
Donna In TEXAS