Tuesday, December 20, 2005

BYE BYE BANDIE

Sunday afternoon I came home for my lunch break and was greeted by my two little girls on the porch in tears.  Our ferret Bandie was finally leaving us.  We had adopted her from our friends when their son died in 2000.  The kids loved her more as a member of the family than as a pet.  Naturally they were inconsolable.  Or so I thought.

My husband sat with Bandie wrapped in a scrap of blanket that Bandie loved, and she lay there taking long, shallow breaths.  When he indicated that he thought she was about to slip away, I called the kids down.  At first they stood around sniffling, tears streaming down their cheeks, but I encouraged them to talk about happy times with our little friend and soon we were laughing about her silly antics, how she loved to stash stolen candy under the boys dressers, and how she would hide our shoes under the couch.  How she'd burrow in the cushions and bite Steve's butt when he'd sit down, how she liked to climb up pantlegs and bite ankles, how she hated baths and loved to go for rides in the truck.  How she hated the snow and loved coffee.

Bandie passed away in Becca's arms, and the children believe that she is now back in the arms of the young man who brought her into our lives.  Our mission is over and Steve plans to have her cremated so he can scatter her ashes near those of her first friend, bringing them together again.

Rocky woke up yesterday morning, bubbly as usual, and followed me about the house giving me an account of her dream.  In it she said Becca was being mean to her and even said that Bandie was dead.  Encouraged by the ease in which she was talking about our pet's death, I questioned her about how she felt and she looked so confused until a strange look came over her face.

'I thought it was a dream,' she whispered sadly. 

I hate to see my children so heartbroken over the death of a pet, but I see it as a lesson in the journey of life.  Death is all part of life, and while the loss of a pet might not compare with the loss of a human, I think it helps them to deal with death lateron in theirlife.

That is not to say that a 45 year old woman does not grieve over the death of a ferret.  I have in fact shed a few tears for my furry little friend.  Good bye Sweet Bandie.  I shall miss you.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh so sad.  It's no fun to lose a family member.  I hope the girls are taking it better.  So sweet about Rocky thinking/wishing it had been a dream.
Traci

Anonymous said...

So sorry on the loss of your pet.

Deb

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your family. The death of a pet can be very painful.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about little Bandie.... The loss of one of the furkids can be very hard... but, I think you are right and he is now with his first friend.
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind
http://adventuresofaneclecticmind.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. Pets are like that . They are a part of the family. I'm sure Bandie will be missed.
Hugs, R.C.

Anonymous said...

You are right of course, but it is a hard lesson for little ones to learn. I've been reluctant to get another pet because of the pain caused by the loss of the last one. They come into our lives and give so much joy & laughter, till you expect them to be with you always. A very poignant entry...Sandi

Anonymous said...

{{{ to all the sad oompa loompas}}} and know that Bandie is frolicking with her old friend now, over the rain bow bridge...

Be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I've grieved for many a pet.  My sympathies.
Lori

Anonymous said...

It's hard to say goodbye to any pet that has given us so many smiles and unconditional love...  Sorry to hear you've had to feel that during the holidays.. Hugs to you..

Anonymous said...

I HAVE TO ADMIT, THIS STORY BROUGHT ABOUT A FEW TEARS OF MY OWN.  I REMEMBER WHEN I HAD TO HAVE MY GIZMO PUT DOWN.....HE WAS ALMOST AT DEATH'S DOOR ANYWAY, BUT WOULDN'T LET GO.........

I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A BELIEVER IN HAVING PETS WHILE YOUR CHILDREN ARE SMALL.....FOR THE VERY REASON THAT WHEN THEY GET SICK OR PASS AWAY, IT TEACHES A VALUABLE LIFE LESSON FOR THEIR FUTURE.  IT ALSO TEACHES THEM LOVE..........

I AM SURE BANDIE HAS CROSSED THE RAINBOW BRIDGE AND MET HER FRIEND THERE TO SPEND ETERNITY.  

BLESSINGS TO YOU ALL AT THIS SAD TIME.......

REGINA

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww........ that made me cry :(

rip Bandie

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Dorn!!

After my grandmother passed away, I took her cat, and had him for a few months until he passed away. I was so crushed, but in the end, decided that my grandmother wanted him to be with her. I had him cremated and buried the ashes with her so that they could be together.

Kasey

Anonymous said...

i remember when my first ferret died. i was eight and he was my best buddy. next time i get a ferret though, im gettin to cause theyre so lonely when they have no one to play with. its nice to think that bandies suffering is over and shes at peace now. they make good friends dont they.

Anonymous said...

First time visitor here! It doesn't matter if it's a hamster, a bird, a ferret, or a dog... when our pets die, we cry. We miss them. And it doesn't matter whose pet dies, we still cry because everyone has lost a loved pet, and we know how it feels. So sad. Yes, I cried when I read this entry. So sorry.

Anonymous said...

We woke up Christmas morning to the death of our ten month old kitten... :-(  Poor little guy....but I do think that animals give us so much love that I am always grateful for the brief time we have with them..