Tuesday, December 27, 2005

NEW YEARS RESOLUTION, 2006 Edition

2006 is right around the corner and as usual I am faced with the problem of coming up with a resolution that is both realistic and attainable.  In my 45 years I quite honestly can't recall a single successful resolving of a resolution, except for maybe my determination to be potty trained by the age of 30 months.  I don't even know for sure if I was in fact potty trained by then, for my mother's sake I hope that I was.  I do know that I am potty trained NOW, so however late it may have been, that was at least one resolution that was eventually attained.

So anyhow, there I was this afternoon, sitting and contemplating on my Throne of Contemplation, when it hit me.  And when the air cleared and I could breath again, I knew the answer to my New Years conundrum.  I did not need to make a resolution.  Resolutions in my case are just predicted failures.  What I needed was a new point of view.

2006 will be the year of Me.  I will not fret about how I can better myself.  I will, instead, concentrate how I can make the world better for ME.  For so long I have catered to others, accomodating them, striving to please them.  I'm 45 years old.  Nobody has made a resolution to please me.  I am not happy.  I have come to the conclusion that if I am to leave this world a happy soul, it is up to me to find that happiness for myself. 

So that is my goal for the coming year... to find happiness.  Not fleeting, momentary happiness, but the kind that stays through the night and welcomes you at the break of dawn.  Like my potty training, this is one goal I intend to achieve, no matter how long it takes. 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you achieve your goal!
Michelle :)

Anonymous said...

There you go!  I like it!
Traci

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm all for it...can I borrow it too? I do believe though that you find happiness in your children's every smile. Sandi

Anonymous said...

my happiness sounds good too!!!!!
Becky

Anonymous said...

Years ago, my last New Year's resolution was to not make New Year's resolutions again.  Setting myself up for failure was never in those resolutions but somehow managed to sneak in.  I'm with you.  Go for the happy YOU.  It can be done.  

Anonymous said...

That's good Dorn. That's what I did for 2005 and it feels real good to do things for yourself that you really enjoy...like buying nice gifts for yourself : )

Smiles!
Vincci

Anonymous said...

Good luck Dorn.  Like your potty training I'm sure it will work out.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Sounds like a resolution you can keep. I quit making New Years resolutions years ago. I like that one tho.
Hugs, R.C.

Anonymous said...

Now THAT's what I call a New Year's Resolution! Go Dorn!
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind
http://adventuresofaneclecticmind.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

What a great idea...can I recommend the Daili Lama's book, the Art of Happiness?  It really changed my life...

Anonymous said...

I don't make resolutions anymore, I can't even remember the last one I made. I like yours though. Sounds like a winner to me! :)

xoxo
Lahoma

Anonymous said...

The year of 'me'. Many mom's SAY it, but few achieve it.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if I've ever commented before, but I wanted you to know that I look forward to each and every entry.  I hope that you and yours have a safe and happy new year!  Donna                     www.shininggoober.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Well I think that sounds like a WONDERFUL 2006 point of view, Dorn!  I missed this alert, or I would have commented sooner!  And YAY on the new camera lense ;)
Hugs,
Heather
http://singingwithmyheart.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

and we'll all be here to READ ABOUT IT!! when you get there ... here's to happiness, finding it, keeping it, enjoying it. Soon!

~Karyn