Wednesday, September 27, 2006

SPINACH BAD FOR YOU? Who would'a thunk it?

I'm Popeye the Sailor Man
Popeye the Sailor Man
I'm strong to the finich, 'cause I eats my spinach,
I'm Popeye the Sailor Man

Copyright 1933, by Sammy Lerner

Colorado grown spinach has been cleared for safe consumption but until this whole E.coli out break is brought under control I think I'll pass on fresh greens.  I haven't even bought lettuce since the story first hit the airwaves.  I never used to be this paranoid about food scares, but we're talking permanent kidney damage and possibly death.  With the amount of tragedy I have encountered over the past few years I think my eyes have been opened to how fragile life really is and I find that I am not willing to take unnecessary risks where my family is concerned.  I believe even Popeye Doyle would agree with me on this one.

There's snow on Pike's Peak.  Winter is in sight.  Our swimming pool, which didn't get nearly as much use due to the constant rain and electrical storms all summer long, still stands in the middle of the back yard.  It seems a shame to waste all of that water.  Maybe we'll just leave it up through the winter and do a little ice skating once it freezes over.  Bummer for whom ever bumps into the side and falls over though, that's a four foot drop.  If they're lucky there might be some snow on the ground by then to soften the landing. 

p.s.:

Hahahahahahaha!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

88 days till Christmas.... EEEEK! Don't remind me!!

Anonymous said...

Dorn that was cruel! 88 days...oh no.  Actually my sister started working for Dillard's and they are putting up their Xmas stuff already and they have angry customers coming up to complain "How dare you put Xmas stuff up now? It's much too early..even before Halloween".....I can remember they didnt start that until the day after Thanksgiving...each year it gets earlier....Sandi http://journals.aol.com/sdoscher458/LifeIsFullOfSurprises

Anonymous said...

knew i could depend on dorn to start a countdown, lol.

blessings,

regina

Anonymous said...

Been waiting for a countdown to show up somewhere ... I was just wondering this morning how many shopping days were left 'til Christmas.  I too stopped buying spinach and lettuce for the time being.  I love the convenience of the bagged variety but I don't know if it's worth the worry.  Not paranoid, just cautious!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thats way too soon! I love Christmas, but it's going to be really tight this year! But, its what it means that matters. Take care and thanks for yourcomment
God bless, Beckie  

Anonymous said...

Oh Dorn, I can't believe it is that close, I knew something yesterday after venturing to the Dollar General. They had a whole row of Christmas decorations with the Halloween & Fall upfront outside. OH MY!!!!!
Michele
Glensfork4@aol.com

Anonymous said...

  I really miss my spinach.  I have still been eating lettuce but it seems bland without the spinach.  I did take care of someone last week with e coli.  She was in acute kidney failure and seizuring.  Wouldn't want to risk it.  Sigh, it always turns out something I really like is bad for me.  

 Hope the snow stays away for a really long time.

                    Julie

Anonymous said...

I for one really miss the spinach. I love it in salads and steamed. Will be glad when this whole scare is over with.


OH, You are really funny, "88 Until Christmas"

Take care.
Toodles,
Tia

Anonymous said...

ahhh...who's counting???  lol
gina