Monday, February 5, 2007

SUPER DISAPPOINTMENT BOWL, and geocaching

First of all, my team... the Denver Broncos, weren't playing so I really wasn't into the Super Bowl.  I still felt compelled to choose a team to root on and while I believed that the Colts were the better team, I really wanted the Bears to win since they once were the greatest and I wanted to see them go all the way again.  The game itself was in my eyes what football is all about... big, muscle bound sweaty men in tight wet uniforms wrastling in the rain.  The scoreboard kept me on the edge of my sofa, waving my hotwings like pom poms when either of the teams scored.  Prince performed at halftime.  Thanks to Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction a couple of year ago I was denied a glimpse of the Purple Highness's hiney through his infamous cut-out jeans (damn you Janet!), but my disappointment was short lived by his performance.  What can I say, I just love the guy!

Even more disappointing than the final score though was the sorry line-up of commercials.  Like many people I place just as much importance on the commercials as I do the actual game.  High expectations are placed on these multi-million dollar ads and we want to be entertained.  This is probably the only time that the viewers actually anticipate the commercial breaks.  As each commercial started I found myself eagerly wondering if the next commercial would be the best and just knock my socks off.  It never happened.  At best I let out a couple of chuckles and an 'oh, that was cute', but there were no gut wrenching belly laughs. 

Where were the Clydesdales?  I saw them in the 'I want to be a Dalmation' commercial but no where else.  No football playing horses.  Not even the Bud vs. Bud Lite bottles.  And since when is it acceptable to play last year's commercials?  You're supposed to make NEW commercials guys.  Come on, get with the program!  And what's with all the stinkin' local commercials?  Colorado make lousy, boring commercials, I don't want to see them during the Super Bowl.  Grrrrrr!

Okay, I've got that out of my system.  Now... on to my new hobby.

GEOCACHING.

Oh my gosh, this is so much fun!  You get the GPS coordinates online, and track the location down using your GPS.  Of course, it helps to know how to read the dang contraption.  We didn't have a clue on Saturday and spent the afternoon walking around getting hot, getting cold, getting hot and then cold again.  The geocaching coordinates are different than the ones Dickidoo uses at work so he wasn't much help.   We never did find the 'cache'.  That night Dickidoo and I did our homework, we got new coordinates, figured out our GPS and Sunday, before the game, the family tried again.

We kept this trip simple, staying within a few miles from the house.  Two caches were ammo boxes with trinkets that can be swapped out with something we brought (we left 'spirit rocks' with tribal hieroglyphics etched or painted on them).  The others were 'micro caches' that just contained a log to sign.  Aided by little hints left by the cache stashers we were able to find all four caches.  Go 'Team Snowfoot.'  Woo hoo!

Anyhow, it was a really cool way to spend my anniversary.

Happy Anniversary Dickidoo.  Where are my truffles?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIV JO!

* POPED THIS BLOGS COMMENT CHERRY * muahahahha

lol......... "TONIGHT AT 10 ON CHANNEL 15 NEWS AT 10.... MORE SNOW .... IS IN THE FORCAST.....THAT AND NEWS IS AT 10 SO JOIN US THEN"

HAHAHAHAHAH

had to do it
ROFL

PS............. LOL have you been reading my blog I updated it a few times over the last 3 days haha ?


~ Christopher ~

Anonymous said...

Hey Dorn:
Got good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your truffles are awaiting your arrival in Hawaii.
Second thing we'll do is say "Hello".

Dad

Anonymous said...

I  had no interest in the super bowl this year.... I didnt even watch for the half time show.

Anonymous said...

Wow... that sounds like fun!  And, goodies at the end to boot!  Yeah, I was a bit disappointed with the commercials too.  I did LOVE the Blockbuster mouse one... that was hysterical!

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

glad you had a good Anniversary:) yes dickadoo where are the truffles???? have a good week

Deb

Anonymous said...

There is another journal I read and she does the geocaching thing with her dog... It sounds like something G. and I would enjoy... hmmmm... maybe something fun to get him for his birthday this year!

I'm with you on the commercials (normally the only reason I watch the game at all.. until they started putting them online, now I don't even have to watch the game <g>)... I was very disappointed that there were no cute Clydesdale commercials :(  That being said we were at a friends and I actually ended up watching the game. With all the rain and fumbles and stuff it was actually kind of interesting... even to someone like me who -doesn't- watch sports!
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind/
http://adventuresofaneclecticmind.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

The Superbowl.......I still can't talk about it....sniffle

Anonymous said...

Your take and my take on the Super Bowl was the same.  Love Prince!  Though the commercials were boring.  The game was ok.
Geocaching sounds like fun.  Good family time.
Traci

Anonymous said...

That sounds like fun.  I have never watched a superbowl in my life.  I keep hearing how the commercials are as much a part of it as the game!  Even my men patients didn't watch this year which was weird.  Usually it is nice and quiet on SB night at the hospital.

               Julie

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you had a great anniversary.
I was disappointed in the superbowl, but
NOT IN MY COLTS ! WOOT WOOT!
:]
Hugs,
Heather

Anonymous said...

I was soooo disappointed in the commercials this year!  I can't believe they were so tame and blah!
Lori
http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages