Tuesday, December 7, 2004

REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR

I posted these two pictures on my photoblog, but I thought this would be an appropriate time to post them here, in observance of anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.  Thats Gabe and my dad, who retired to my mom's homestate of Hawaii after 20+ years in the Navy.  As a teenager I lived just minutes away from Pearl Harbor, and we could see it from our back yard.  I remember the very first time I ever cut out of school was to go to the Arizona Memorial with my brother.  For some reason it had become very important for us to go to the memorial and when we heard that the tour was free we decided to risk getting caught and we didn't get off the bus when it passed the high school.

If you've never been to the Memorial it would be hard for me to explain the emotions that swell up when you step onto the memorial.  Its a simple and yet beautiful structure built over the wreckage of the battleship.  Looking over the side you can see parts of the ship under water, and if you look carefully you can even see oil droplets floating up from below.  I thought of them as tears from the battleship for her crew.  Did you know that over 900 crewmembers are still entombed underwater in the wreckage?  While the dark tears rose from the ship below, my tears fell down to meet them.  I've been to the memorial dozens of times, and I cry each and every time.  The last time I went was two summers ago, with my own children.  And yes, I cried again. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will never forget.  Beautiful entry!
~~Kath~~

Anonymous said...

Neat pics!  

I'm glad to hear that Gabe is doing well.  

Have a great day!
angie

Anonymous said...

AWWWWww thats a nice entry...Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Great picture.  I went to Hawaii on my 40th birthday for the first time.  We visited the memorial and it was very emotional.  It must have been wonderful living there.  It's so incredibly beautiful.  This is a nice tribute and remembrance.

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to  the Memorial at Pearl Harbor but I have been to Corregidor in the Philippines.  I shed tears there for all that lost their lives
Becky

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to visit it but sounds very moving in person.  Hopefully one day we'll get there.  

Anonymous said...

2 of my great uncles died on the Arizona... my sister and I are the only ones who havent been able to go yet. I plan on going next summer, but I am scared that I will bawl like a baby. What beautiful pictures you have though.

Brandi
http://journals.aol.com/brandilynneliz/SomethingNew

Anonymous said...

My eye's tear up just hearing the Nation anthym, I can only imagine how I would feel at that memorial. Someday though, I will go there!
Rebecca