Thursday, July 12, 2007

HENRY LECTOR, and the Oompas Parole

Henry the homicidal goldfish has company.  No, not in his tank.  We know better by now.  Art is fish sitting his girlfriend's beta while she is on vacation.  The beta is named Capt'n Jack (of course).  For some reason Art thought it would be a good idea to set Capt'n Jack's fish bowl right beside Henry's tank.  The poor beta has barely moved from the far side of his bowl while Henry swims back and forth like a great white shark trying to find a way out of his tank and into the little bowl.  Its 'Hannibal Lector' kind of creepy.  Poor Capt'n Jack!

I did some shopping for Zack's trip.   I was thinking that it would just be a bar of soap and a toothbrush... I was wrong.  There's shampoo, razor and shaving cream, deodorant, toothpaste, mouthwash, hairbrush, hair ties, hairnets (he'll have to wear a net since he refuses to cut his gorgeous hair), and batteries for his mp3.  Cripes, I'm out of over $50!  But that's okay, I see it as an investment.  He'll never find me a future daughter-in-law if he stinks.

The three younger Oompas are in trouble.  They got into an argument over jumping from the trampoline into the pool.  First of all, that's a big 'no no', and I said so when we got the pool last year, and again this year when the pool thawed and was cleaned out.  The Oompas seemed to have forgotten that and when Rocky saw Becca jumping into the pool yesterday, she wanted to as well.  Unfortunately her older sister and brother decided that it was too dangerous for her.  (Well, duh!  Isn't that what I said when I forbade them from jumping from the tramp into the pool?)  Naturally Rocky had to come tattling when she couldn't break the rules with them.  Now none of them can go into the pool or on the trampoline.  And Art and Becca have to be nice to their baby sister and include her in their activities for the next two weeks.  AND... they have to help plan and put on her birthday party.  Ouch!

Okay, it may not sound like a very severe punishment, but believe me, it is already having the desired effect.  So far today there have been no... (none, zero, ZIP!) arguments between the younger OompasBecca has taken Rocky with her to her friends house two days in a row.  And Rocky hasn't tattled, not once!  Its almost peaceful here.  Why oh why couldn't the Oompas have broken the 'no jumping from the trampoline into the swimming pool' rule earlier in the year.  It might have saved me a whole lot of grief!

I saw a vaguely familiar face this morning on an AOL photo blog and wrote to the screen name on a hunch.  My hunch was right, it was a long lost friend from 20 years ago.  How cool is that?  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Thank you Al Gore for inventing the Internet!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the punishment for the youngest of the clan certainly fit the crime!  Like they THOUGHT they could get away with it (you with the eyes in the back of your head an all ;-)  You don't want Zack to find you a DIL in Florida!!  That'll be more grandbabies you hardly ever get to see!!

Anonymous said...

LOL!  Gotta love Al and his wacky inventions!  I love your punishment!  Great stuff!  Who needs groundings and such when you can impose the younger child as a means of straightening out the older ones!  
Traci

Anonymous said...

No way!!!  That is so cool!  Maybe I have to look at those silly little pics closer!  And as for the Oompas... I have to try that with mine!  LOL

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

did you get the rockin girl blogger i put in my journal?

Deb

Anonymous said...

Don't fear Zack finding a girl here...most of the young people want out of Florida! So a hometown girl would probably find Zack a bit exotic out from the unknown far west..lol. These people do not know from hills...warn him about the flatness it's kind of shocking when you first arrrive here.  I think you are raising a bunch of dare devils, even if they are girls...enjoy the peace while it lasts...love, Sandi

Anonymous said...

You crack me up!  Al Gore...too funny!

Anonymous said...

gotta love Al...
Becky

Anonymous said...

Love the names of the fish! LOL
Missie

Anonymous said...

Dorn,
I know Zack will enjoy his trip.  I always tried to hit Florida in the winter.  
I love the Al Gore comment.
Smiles from Boulder,
David