Thursday, October 23, 2008

911

Someone broke into Gabe's apartment. There wasn't anything of real value there, just the basic furniture of a young family just starting out, and his computer. His computer contained pictures from his tours in Iraq, pictures from his wedding day and his leave here this summer with his new family. It also contained a diary and original poetry his sister ReBecca had written while helping Kimmie with the babies. The computer, which might get the theft $50 for drugs or booze, was priceless to us. The memories, the images, the words, the sentiment... gone for ever.

To steal from or victimize anyone is wrong, but to steal from a soldier's home while he is deployed overseas in a battle zone is lower than low. Even as I type this my army of vigilante dust bunnies are scouring the streets for the perpetrator. While I maintain a casual belief in karma, in this case I want revenge NOW! I hope that crook chokes on the hairballs of a million dust bunnies. Karma will come later.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh No Dorn that is horrible. It leaves a feeling of violation and sickness. I sure hope he gets them back, all those memories! In the future I cannot stress enough to remind people to back up your pictures on disc's or use a photo storage place like photobucket its free and easy. Good luck on finding the turd who stole it.

Dawn said...

Oh NO! Maybe you can take out ads in the paper - maybe papers will donate the space! Try to get someone to do a story on it even... then maybe a pawn shop with a heart will call or someone!

be well...

garnett109 said...

Man that sucks what a dirt bag!
If you are taking donations for a new one i'll throw in a few bucks.
I was a soldier for 20 years and have great respect for those that serve!
God bless our soldiers!

ADB said...

No, that's horrible. Like you say, the value of the lost pics cannot be expressed in $$$

Brandi said...

That is just terrible Dorn. : ( I can't believe someone would go so low.

Brandi

Melanie said...

I hope your dust bunnies get em...that is so horrible


Melanie

Nancy said...

What a terrible thing to have happen! I too hope they find the person who was low enough to do such a thing.

Traci said...

I like Dawn's idea! And yes, karma will get you.

cw2smom said...

Dorn! I am sooooo sorry to hear that! I agree with the poster who said to see if a local paper will do a news story on it! Something happened like that near here and it got some press! Here's hoping someone recovers the computer in tact with your son's precious memories! Again, how awful! Karma for sure! Hugs, Lisa

Anonymous said...

That is awful.. I hate Thieves .
and your right what comes around goes around that for sure.
But keep hope it may pop up.

Take care :-)

moshell's lilbit of space said...

I agree with Dawn...that would be a good route to take.

If it does show up at a pawn shop, maybe they would contact you and let you know from reading the story.

assho*es....

Anonymous said...

Dorn, I hope they get what they deserve. I feel really sorry for Gabe, Bill