Wednesday, November 1, 2006

NEW AGE POLITICS:

Posi-tics, Nega-tics and Stupi-ticians

Is it just me or is anyone else about sick of all of the mud slinging politicians?  Campaign ads filled with decades old dirt dug up to discredit an opponent, more than the candidate's own qualifications and proposals.  Dude, I don't want to know why I shouldn't vote for 'him', I want to know why I should vote for 'you'.  Convince me with positive incentive.  Tempt me with plans for improvement and achievement.  Don't assume that just because you can prove that the other guy is the 'bad guy' that you automatically become the 'good guy'.  You'll have to prove yourself to me to earn my vote.

And then there are the Stupi-ticians.  I'd have to award Senator John Kerry as the Stupi-tician of the Year for his latest botched joke.  I'm not going to repeat the un-funny remark because its too painful even for me.  I will say that I believe he didn't mean it the way it was taken.  I knew right off that it was a dig at the President.  I also knew that the Republican's would jump all over the mistake like piranhas, and they did.  However, it wasn't the screwed up punch line that won Kerry the honors of Stupi-tician of the Year.  It was his unwillingness to apologize afterwards to the troops whom him may have offended.  Actually the troops were probably too busy with their mission in Iraq to even notice the slip up, so the media played the clip over and over and over.... until everyone WAS offended, and now its snowballed into a huge controversy.

What Kerry should have done was say something like 'Oh crap, that came out wrong, what I meant to say was that Bush is stupid and now we're stuck in Iraq'.  But he didn't.  Instead, he just kept on talking himself deeper and deeper into the ground.

So Senator Kerry, here's some free advice,  apologize to the troops for any offense they may have taken from your dumb joke, and then repeat after me:  "I will never attempt to tell another joke, I will leave the jokes for the trained professionals because I am not, have never been, nor will I EVER be funny! "  Now, if you could just keep your foot out of your mouth.........

I shall be so glad when the elections are over and all those stupid campaign commercials go off the air.  It would be different if the guys who make the Super Bowl commercials were to make the campaign commercials, with important messages like how beer will be free if we elect candidate A,  or a Tailgating Rally with Candidate B while the Colorado State 7th Place Marching Band Champions Mesa Ridge Grizzlies played 'Pirates of the Carribean' in the background.  I'd probably pay attention to them if that were the case.  And maybe if the candidates were to get official endorsements....

"BUMS, the Official Antacid of the Republican Party!"

"LifeTime Condoms, because goodness knows we don't need more Democrats on the planet!"

You know, I might actually enjoy that kind of 'Posi-tics'... if it were ever to catch on.  Its really not that far fetched, a candidate running for office stands up and gives a speech about positive change he or she would make if elected... What a novel idea!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I was going to write something about this today as I am getting so sick of it also.  Yah but what do YOU stand for.  I have almost decided I will vote for anyone who's commecials weren't just a slam against the one running against them.  
 I heard one lady say, Vote for me and I will lower your health care costs!  Really.....Ok, How?  No answer on that one.  I am so happy I gave up TV, now if they would just stay off my radio programs.  And Kerry, maybe it would be better if they didn't try to be something they aren't, like funny!

                           Julie

Anonymous said...

We don't get the same type of commercials over here during elections ( at least not yet, we probably will eventually as we get everything americanised over time )we just get long boring party political broadcasts..zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Billy Connolly said it best - the desire to be a politician should automatically rule you out of ever being allowed to become one....Vamp x

Anonymous said...

So sad isn't it... ugh.  Can't wait until it is over...

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

you have my agreement 100%.
Barbara

Anonymous said...

a politician actually getting up and saying what they'd like to change if elected?... now.. THAT'S A JOKE!  The sad thing is, I can't remember the last time I heard one say anything positive!

Anonymous said...

Tita, I love you, you make my day! Keep up the work........your little Bro

Anonymous said...

Great Post!  I am so sick of the stuff we are seeing on the tv and hear on the radio.  For the first time in 22 years I don't even care if I vote.  I probably will but I won't be happy.
Traci