Thursday, May 27, 2004

Concert Review Styx and Frampton

Went to the Styx/Peter Frampton concert last night in Denver.  The opening number was a group called Nelson.  Never heard of them before.  These two blonde haired guys walked out on stage with accoustic guitars.  I thought they were the 'mmm bop' boys for a moment.  Turns out they are the sons of Ricky Nelson, remember him?  They were really pretty good, kind of like Bon Jovi without a back-up band. 

Peter Frampton was next on the line-up.  I wasn't a huge Frampton fan, but I appreciated his talent and was really looking forward to being able to rub this concert in my brother's face because he WAS a huge Frampton fan at one time.  So I wait as the band comes out.  The crowd was cheering as these old rock-n-rollers come out.  Gotta say for old guys, these guys are in pretty good shape.  Some guy comes out with a really cool guitar and I just know I am looking at Frampton's guitar!  What an honor, I would love to be the one who gets to carry Peter Frampton's guitar onto the stage.  The guy is obviously in awe as well cos he looks around then turns back and starts to walk back... And then he started to play the guitar and the crowd started to cheer... except for me who was sitting there totally lost.  Who was that guy and why was he playing Frampton's guitar?  Then it slowly dawned on me and and I turned to my husband.  "He's bald!  Peter Frampton is bald!"  All through the next two songs I sat there breaking my stunned silence only to reiterate 'He's bald!'.  Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with being bald, but the only images I had of Frampton was with a big bush of hair and this guy probably had more hair on his eyebrows than he did on the top of his head.  Someone could have warned me!  I gotta say though, once the shock wore off I was treated to an awesome performance.  That man still has it.  And he's funny to boot!

Styx was and always will be fantastic.  For a short while I was back in high school, screaming like a groupie, which was okay because everyone else around me was too.  The audience was an odd mixture of young and old.  There was one couple in front of us that looked they were in their 60's and had been dragged there by their children.  The guy had this look on his face that said 'Didn't like them then and I don't like themnow.'  They left early.  Not me, I screamed through the last song.  I feel sorry for the rap-generation because as I listened to the bands that I loved 25 years ago playing live, I know that these rap bands of today will never have that longevity.  My sons will probably never be able to go to a live concert of their old high school favorites when they're in their 40's.  How sad!  My band may be bald but they still can rock!

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

way too cool...i ahve seen styx every year for about 10 years now, every year we go to a rock fest here in wisconsin, and all the old bands play....i love em always...check out the line up this year. www.rock-fest.com
http://journals.aol.com/bernmilo/WAYNEATOPICTURES

Anonymous said...

Funny isn't it?  We get old and accept that... not always with gracious aplomb... but we accept.  But somehow, when our idols (or guys our brother's idolized LOL) get old... it's shocking and weird.

Well..... better him to be bald than you... right?!  LOL

angie

Anonymous said...

Peter Frampton ROCKS!! My hubby and I have the live album ~ on tape..... We LOVE to hide away and listen til dawn (when its possible to do) and Styx **** wow!! Tommy Shaw!! woo hoo! The one and only concert that I ever went to was Damn Yankees with Ted Nugent and Tommy Shaw and BADDDDD COmPANY!! thats been probably 10 to 12 yrs ago ! ROCK ON MY ROCKIN FRIEND!!

Anonymous said...

The audience was an odd mixture of young and old. <<<< I LOVE those kinds of audiences...it's almost like we all get along for a minute....hehehe  Styx plays live in Atlanta at least twice a year, I see them every once in awhile---they never, ever lose a bit of thier touch, do they? Glad you had a great time!!!

Anonymous said...

I just love Styx!  And Peter Frampton can still play that guitar like a master...bald or not!  LOL
-Connie

journals.aol.com/indigosunmoon/Thoughtsonmylifeandothermindless

Anonymous said...

I would love to see Styx.  I have heard of Nelson before.  Glad you had such a great time.  Bet it was great to scream for awhile!!!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

I agree. My kids have absolutely no good oldies that they'll be humming to 30 years from now.

Maryanne

Anonymous said...

Wow, Nelson is still playing? I have their first album from the late 80s (they were so darn pretty. *sigh*) And I know precisely what you mean by mixed crowd. We saw The Moody Blues in concert and it was the same deal.  -Becky
http://journals.aol.com/ryanagi/Wherelifetakesyou

p.s. Frampton is BALD?! Good gravy...him and James Taylor. Such a shame.

Anonymous said...

It was interesting to read someone creative and refreshing! God bless your family!

Anonymous said...

Hey I just left a comment and just relized that I left it for this 5-27-04 but it's meant for all your entrees! God bless