Wednesday, August 31, 2005

TOUCHED BY KATRINA, updated and the boys night out

I came home to good news today.  My sister heard from her friend, who is safe with family.  And my friend finally heard from his daughter.  She made it safely back to her house, which incredibly suffered only minor damage.  Her neighbor wasn't as fortunate, they lost their roof.  Right after he heard from his daughter, my friend's son-in-law called to say he was okay and to ask about his wife whom he hadn't been able to contact.  So Katrina's effect, at least in human terms, was minor for my little circle.  Sadly the same cannot be said about countless others.

I am healing quickly from my weekend trip (literally!)  I still have some cactus embedded in my face.  I have a bruise on my chin from where I hit it on something a little harder than the cactus.  Apparently I was too engrossed in the feeling of hundreds of spines peircing my skin to notice the pain of my chin slamming against a rock.  I also have a bruise on my torso in the shape of my camera.  My foot is bruised and scabbed but at least the swelling has subsided and my shoe fit again.

Needless to say I have been extra careful to avoid any and ALL cactus and barbed wire.  Unfortunately that didn't guarantee my safety.  As of yesterday afternoon I am now sporting a pretty deep gash on my right middle finger.  I suppose you're wondering how I managed to cut myself, and I suppose I should be embarrassed, except to this moment I still can't believe what I cut myself on.  A banana!  I cut myself on a banana!  Okay, it wasn't a mushy banana, it was a banana chip that I was trying to brush out of my truck, but it was still a banana.  I've been pouring the anticeptic on it like it was going out of style to prevent an infection.  The last thing I want to do is to go to the clinic and have to explain the infection on my finger.  "Well doc, I cut myself on a banana."  Yeah, that will go well with all of the other rediculous entries in my medical file.

Shhhhhhhh........... don't tell anyone, but my two big boys are going out tonight.  Gabe is  taking Zack out for a belated 18th birthday celebration.  They're going to Gabe's old work place, the boobie bar!  It was Dickidoo's idea although Gabe has been thinking about it for a while.  I suppose a good mother would be shocked, but I just told Dickidoo to give them some $.  Zack is so shy, goodness, I hope this doesn't totally corrupt him! 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you learned everyone was ok...I can't believe what I am seeing on Tv my heart weeps for these people so sad.  Sandi

Anonymous said...

lol @ the banana chip cut.  sorry.  0=)

glad that the fall wasn't worse.  cactus is tricky stuff.  some are soft looking, but hella sticky (and pokey).  

Anonymous said...

awww the first trip to the boobie bar...lmao....

what a tradition!

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Glad all is well. Hope your healing goes smoothly and no more misshaps lol

Deb

Anonymous said...

I thought the joke was something about "SLIPPING" on a banana peel....not slicing ones finger on a chip! lmaoooooooooooo

Anonymous said...

Have no fear - the ladies will take very good care of him :)
Peace and love,
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/CDittric77/Courage

Anonymous said...

glad to hear you heard good news.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear everyone is safe after Katrina.

Glad your are healing from your fall.  Hope your finger heals up soon also from the banana (I will wait a little while to laugh 'cause I know it hurts.) ;-)

Hope your boys had a good time.

Have a blessed week!
http://journals.aol.com/rjet33/CountryLivingSouthernStyle

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo!  You will have to let us know how Zack liked the booby bar!  I think it is cool that he is doing it with Gabe.  You know right of passage and all that!

Be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/
Poetry:

Anonymous said...

Boobie bar huh. Wouldnt you like to be a fly on the wall to get his first reaction...lol