Monday, October 10, 2005

BREAD AND JAM FOR JODY

When I was a little girl one of my favorite books was Bread and Jam for Frances.  I remember reading it, laying on the floor on my tummy while nibbling on my own jelly smeared slice of bread.  There was a virtual, stereo-like quality when sharing the same meal as the character in the book.  Blackberry jam was always my favorite.  I read that book all through grade school, from Virginia to Connecticut, to Scotland and then Hawaii.  I believe somewhere along the way myparents bought me a copy of the book... or maybe it was purchased for my baby sister.  At any rate, after a while it was always at hand when ever the urge hit me.

So naturally it was one of the first books I bought for my own children.  Over the years I have read the story, in various prints and publications more than any other book I know of.  The story was almost always accompanied by bread covered with some sticky, sweet variety of jam or jelly.  It was almost a requirement.

This morning I dropped two slices of bread into the toaster and went to the refrigerator in search of some jelly to spread on my 'breakfast'.  There, in the very front of the shelf, was a sticky jar of blackberry jam, the childrens' favorite.  Gleefully I pulled it out and when the toast was ready, I spread the jam on generously.  One bite and I was instantly transported to a time when cares were few and where life included one very tenacious and precocious little badger named Frances, who's favorite snack of jam and bread taught me, and my own children, the pleasures of reading.  And I can't help but wonder... is there such a thing as the bread and jam diet  because that is something I think I could do.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if there is such a thing as a bread and jam diet, but that sounds so good, I'd be willing to try it with you. ;)

Ari

Anonymous said...

great memory!!! going off to look for my copy of hte boook and have a jelly sandwich!!!
Becky

Anonymous said...

Delightful entry.  Yours often are.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is a delicious diet. My grandad got me started on Jam and toast when I used to visit them in Virginia as a little girl...you brought back memories...thanks..Sandi

Anonymous said...

There's something incredibly comforting about a slice of toast with peach or strawberry jam (I never liked blackberries)or orange marmalade with one's morning coffee or tea.
I'll bet your book is kind of sticky????
I pulled out "Mickey in the Night Kitchen" recently because I did a recent journal entry on banned books, and that banned book was my kids' favorite bedtime reading material! Anyhow, it still has a vague smell of puke to it though it's been years since one of the little guys was sick as a dog, but still had to hear his favorite bedtime story while he barfed his guts out.
I can't bear to get rid of it!
Maryanne

Anonymous said...

Oh that was so nice to read.  I have foods that do that too.  Liptons chicken noodle soup and pastina with butter, they transport me back to being taken care of by mom and dad and not a care in the world otherwise...

Thanks for sharing...

Be well,
Dawn

http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/
Poetry:

Anonymous said...

You know, it just might work !  Tina http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme

Anonymous said...

Wow, Thanks for bringing back some great memories.  In kindergarten our teacher would play books on records (a round disc bigger than a cd you played on a record player w/a needle  -- for those too young to know what a record is).  One of the ones that was my very favorite was a Frances book.  In it she sings the alphabet song and when she gets to "U" it's U is for underwear down in the dryer!  All the kids that were still awake giggled uncontrolably at that!  I need to go buy these for my granddaughter.
THanks again for the walk down memory lane.
http://journals.aol.com/womandriver2/KeepinupwtheDrivers/entries/813
Julie

Anonymous said...

That would be the diet, all right!  Whenever we read Heidi one of my sisters and I would have to have toasted ham and cheese and milk in a bowl, just like Heidi.  Tasted so much better that way.

Lori

Anonymous said...

I read the Box Car children over and over and some book about a Treasure, not Tresure Island though.  There was a goose that chased the children whenever they were trying to pick plums or something like that, I thought it was the funniest thing I have ever read.

I have never heard of the Bread and Jam for Frances books, ---sounds interesting.

Anonymous said...

What a great story. I hope you get to read that book someday to your grandbaby's.
Hugs, R.C.

Anonymous said...

"Full of jam is what I am."
Reading it dozens of times still doesn't teach kids not to be fussy eaters, sadly enough.

Anonymous said...

Nice memory.  I used to love a book named Gus, The Friendly Ghost or something like that.  I bought it again for my kids and a nephew.  One of my most fav things to eat is a biscuit, preferably homemade, with butter oozing out of it and strawberry jam. :)

Blessings!~
Susan
http://journals.aol.com/rjet33/CountryLivingSouthernStyle/