Monday, May 29, 2006

MEMORIAL DAY

All across the country Americans were celebrating Memorial Day with backyard barbecues, camp outs, picnics and parties.  Stores and businesses all took advantage of the long holiday with sales and specials to lure in prospective customers.  Sadly it seemed to me that the whole purpose of the holiday had been obscured by commercialization.

I had the day off.  We could have gone to the lake, or up to the mountains.  Instead we went to Memorial Park to pay our respects to the country's fallen service men and women.   In the past I paid homage to an Uncle who died in Korea long before I was ever born.  I would also say a silent prayer for all of the other fallen Americans.  But this year it was different.  This year I knew the names of some of the more recent patriots for whom this day of remembrance is for.  This year it was personal.  This year I paid my respects to 3 of Gabe's buddies, as well as the son of an online friend.

I found comfort and pride in the sight of my children walking through the various memorials in the park, reading the markers with sincere interest and understanding. They were not the only youngsters there.  There were young and old alike, strolling slowly and quietly from statue to statue.  It was easy to spot the Veterans, for they wore their patches and scars with dignity.  It was easy to spot the family members for they did not hold back their tears.  It was easy to spot the Americans, for they were everywhere and they wore their patriotism with pride.  And I was proven wrong.  For all fuss about the long weekend full of fun in the sun, Americans still remembered those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for the freedoms we enjoy today.

From one grateful patriot, to the men and women of the Armed Forces, past and present, I thank you, with all my heart.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

{{{ Dorn }}}  We remembered.  We paid tribute too.

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

amen, that was awesome. How wonderful that you and the family went. You know next year I would like to do something like that with my kids.

Anonymous said...

Amen......

Brenda

Anonymous said...

I loved your tribute, Dorn. This year I bought flags and planted them on the graves of 2 veterans in my family. After I did that I went home, started the lawnmower and mowed my overgrown front yard. I kept on going and mowed the overgrown front yard of my neighbor. He is 85, nearly blind, and can't use his mower anymore. He is also a proud WWII vet. I can never repay him for what he and our other vets did for us.
Mary

Anonymous said...

That was a very sweet tribute entry that you did...
http://blog.myspace.com/poptartcoco

Anonymous said...

thank you for this entry
Marti

Anonymous said...

We visited our family graves and all the Veterans in the whole cemetary were decorated with flags...it is very moving to see. If you get a chance, National Geographic had an incredible special on about Arlington cemetary and the very special young soldiers who guard the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers.  We were all spellbound.

Anonymous said...

Dorn:
I spent the day on Battleship Row welcoming all the veterans who came to also pay their respects.  The stories they shared was something I look forward to and of course I have a few of my own too. lol

Dear ole Dad

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this! :) And THANK YOU GABE :)