Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Gracefully...

My co-worker lost her battle with cancer three days ago. Her funeral was today. I could not go. It is not that I was not allowed to go, most of the old timers like myself went. I just could not bear to go. For some people fortunate enough not to be touched by cancer, either directly or indirectly, cancer is merely a pastel colored ribbon on the car in front of them at the stop light. For me it is so much more, and I was not ready to face it.

My mother and sister are survivors. In a way so am I for cancer is not a spectator's disease. It affects everyone within reach. While loved ones endure seemingly endless tests and painful treatments, their family members suffer silent fear and antiseptic scented hope. I found myself hoping that God still remembered me well enough to grant a wish and answer a prayer. I cried tears of relief when He did.

The guilt was sobering when I realized that three days ago many other prayers went unanswered. But faith is a strong and wonderful light that is both bright and warm. Through my sadness I realized that the prayers were in fact answered.

My co-worker won her battle with cancer three days ago. Her funeral was today. She is at peace and at Home. Her prayers have been answered.

God speed sweet Brigitte. I shall miss you.

10 comments:

garnett109 said...

Sorry for your loss of a good friend

Sage Ravenwood said...

Beautiful, serene...I've had it tromp on my family and steal a wonderful soul from me (my MIL). I've had it scare the life out of me recently with Paul and my daughter. I'm still uncertain about my daughter's outcome. It's a cruel beast on any given day. Wonderful sentiments to your co-worker hon. (Hugs)Indigo

Michelle said...

I'm so sorry Dorn.
Losing a friend or loved one is never easy.
Maybe we can all pray that one day there will be a cure.
(((hugs)))

Brandi said...

You wrote this beautifuly. I admire you. Bless your friend, and bless you.

Hugs
B

Julie said...

I am sorry for your loss. You are right, a different type of prayer might have been answered.

cw2smom said...

Dorn...I am sorry for your loss! I have lost so many family and friends to cancer and have many that are fighting it right now. It takes it's toll on all of us! How I understand not being able to attend your dear friend's service. I am finding it so hard to do "sad" anymore. Blessings! Lisa

zipbagofbones said...

This post brought me to tears. I am so sorry for the loss of your co-worker and friend. Thoughts are with her family.

Traci said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I know what you mean about not being able to attend the funeral. Our friend's son died this summer (age 5) and I just couldn't make myself go. He was a playmate of my girls. It was too painful. Hugs to you.

REGINA said...

what a sweet tribute to brigette. my thoughts and prayers go with you as you deal with the loss of a co-worker (and possibly a friend).

blessings,

regina

moshell's lilbit of space said...

I agree Jody, it is NOT just a pink ribbon on a car...I hate even the "C" word....

Sorry about your freind, but she is the winner now.