Sunday, June 27, 2004

GETTING READY FOR VACATION

We leave this Friday for California, via the Hopi Reservation in Arizona.  I'm not particularily looking forward to the California part of the trip but only because my husband and his sister had a huge falling out the last time we saw them and they still have not gotten over it.  I hate when families fight and don't forgive, its so tragic.  But I think they grew up thinking that apologizing was admitting that you were wrong.  It is not always.  Sorry means exactly what it implies, that you are sorry.  I apologize to my husband all the time, but it doesn't mean I was wrong, just that I was sorry I lost my temper.  Usually it was justified, but I still don't like to lose it.

The kids have been working so hard on their rooms.  My youngest son has basically just been sitting around the whole time because his room was clean from the start.  (he certainly didn't get the clean gene from me).  My oldest daughter scared me yesterday.  She turned into some kind of Stepford daughter or something.  Everything was 'yes mother', 'thank-you mother'.  It was a nice change but worrysome.  I just know she's going to spring something on me in the near future.

Rocky was.... well, I think you all know by now how Rocky is.  She came up to me with a pair of tiny dress high heels I bought her for playing dress up in and held them out to me.

'Which one smells better?' she asked.  Huh?  I'm not going to smell those stinky-stanky shoes!

'Well, one smells like peanuts, but the other one smells like... I don't know, so which one do you like?'  She shoved the shoes under my nose.  I pushed them away and sent her back to her room when she could sniff her shoes in private.  Ugh!

What happens when you kick a leaking dishwasher?  Well, 1 of 3 things can happen.  a) it will stop leaking, b) it will continue to leak or as in my case c) it will leak even more!  That machine is just plain spiteful.  If it had lips it would be smiling!  Just wait though, I saw a nice new stainless steel dishwasher at Sams which would match nicely with my stove and refrigerator!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOH, Sounds nice! I bought a dishwasher last year at Best Buy. They have good prices. Have fun with the cleaning!

Anonymous said...

New dishwasher! New dishwasher! (I need one too. LOL) -B

Anonymous said...

I'd love to have a dishwasher! That gives me an idea for a journal entry. heh heh

Lahoma

Anonymous said...

That is just like my kids.  They will have something VERY stinky, and then ask me to come smell it!  Your little one is so much like Tabby.  

The Rolling Stone just had an excellent article on the young female Hopi GI soldier who was killed in Iraq.  I have a great deal of admiration for the Hopi culture. Most Cherokees I know are Southern Baptists, but the Hopi have managed to preserve a lot of their Old Ways. The Trail of Tears wiped out so many of the Older Cherokees that in many ways I think they never recovered. My Grandpa John is Cherokee, raised in Oklahoma.
That I have links to the Western Band of Cherokee, rather than the Eastern Band (which is geographically closer and more probable) is thanks to Uncle Sam and the draft. :-)  He met a pretty little hillbilly girl...and the rest is history.
love, Kas

Anonymous said...

When my teenager is "nice" like that I know something is brewing. As for Rocky ...I like the kids style! I'm usually the one putting smelly shoes, socks, etc in my family members faces. : ) & my crap-o-la dishwasher leaks too.

Anonymous said...

Rocky... cute cute child.  I would love to meet her in person just to see if she's as cute in person as she is on the cyber page.

Your family is too funny.

angie

Anonymous said...

I hope you are able to get that new dishwasher! Have a wonderful vacation. I hope that I can convince my boyfriend to take me to the Smokeys next week. Wish me luck.
Melissa

Anonymous said...

My dishwasher's name is Mandy Mae.