Saturday, June 26, 2004

WATERMELON, A NEW PROSPECTIVE ON AN OLD FAVORITE

We had honeydew melon with breakfast.  Melon is a favorite of my family and the kids would eat it morning, noon and night, 7 days a week if I would let them.  I will not, and here is why.

My neighbors all know how much my children enjoy melon and are always sending them over when they are in season.  A couple of summers ago I had just purchased a huge watermelon when my neighbor sent over an even larger melon.  My kids eyes were wide with anticipation.  I cut the two melons up and put them in my biggest Tupperware (unpaid product endorcement) bowl, and told the kids to eat the melon up before it went bad.  Not a problem.  So they ate and ate.  It took them 2 days to put away about 15 pounds of watermelon.

It was the evening of the second day of the watermelon feast that my oldest boy called me over to the bathroom.  His naturally dark face was as white as a sheet.  'Someone is bleeding' he whispered, pointing to the toilet.  Puzzled, I looked inside and was horrified by what I saw.  The toilet bowl was bright red with blood and ooze.  There was so much I almost passed out with fear.  I yelled for the other kids to come over, and demanded to know who had last used the bathroom, assuring them that nobody was in trouble.  One of my daughters stepped forward and apologized for not flushing the toilet. 

I was almost in tears as I checked her over, pressing on her tummy, checking her forehead for a fever, checking her eyes.  Did she hurt?  Was she dizzy?  Did she feel nausious? 

"No, I just think I ate too much watermelon" she replied.  It took me a moment to comprehend and  then I began to laugh almost hysterically.  My kids looked at me like I was nuts, which I am, but at that moment I was only relieved.  I looked at my daughter and asked her to slow down and chew her watermelon the next time to help with the digestion process.

So, add watermelon to your list of foods that will pass through your system without digesting if not chewed thoroughly, along with peas, corn, nuts and greens.  And macadamia nuts will float, making it necessary to cover them with toilet paper to get them to flush.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! That is crazy! It would have scared me also! Have fun! Beckie

Anonymous said...

LMAO! That last paragraph has also been MY observation. Along with sesame seeds and sea weed. -B

Anonymous said...

LOL We had the same thing happen here. It scared the me to death. I read a few days ago that the shell of a kernal of corn will not digest at all. No matter how much you chew it stays intact and refills with matter from your bowls coming out of the poot shoot looking like an intact kernal of corn. LOL go Figure!

Lahoma

Anonymous said...

UMMM, GROCE DORN! lol....funny, but GROCE! ; )

Anonymous said...

ROFL

And have you ever noticed how bad asparagus makes your pee stink?  I mean REALLY reek?

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that...hmmmm makes me want to experiment with a watermelon... TOO FUNNY. GREAT ENTRY SOOOO funny lmao
Heather~

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this good laugh. I am sure it wasn't at all funny at first. Paula

Anonymous said...

also raw broccoli........which i thought was bugs!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't help but notice that this is the third of fourth time you've mentioned finding "something" in your toilet bowl... I'm just asking... don't your kids know how to flush or is this some kind of kinky family tradition... Everybody come look at the poop in the bowl!  Just asking.  LOLOLOLOLOL

Cute entry!
angie

Anonymous said...

LMAO that is good to know. hehehe. Glad it was just watermelon and noone was hurt. I have never really liked watermelon myself. Have a great day.
Mel

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how much of a relief this was to me!  I actually googled "watermelon digestion" and your entry was the second one that came up.  I just had a similar "experience" to your daughter after a two day feast on the best melon ever and I was really scared... I'm glad you got a laugh after you knew what happened... now I am, too =)

Anonymous said...

OMG!! Thank god I found this! I just had the same thing happen as well. Thanks A TON for shareing!