Monday, June 28, 2004

MY DRUG ADDICTION

I've got a bad feeling about today, don't know why, I just woke up thinking 'this is going to be a bad day'.  I try not to take those kinds of feelings too seriously, seems when you worry too much about predictions and premonitions you inadvertantly make them come true. 

So anyhow, here I sit, sipping on a dainty mug of coffee when what I really wanted to do was to just dump a bunch of creamer in and drink directly from the coffee pot.  Actually that would have been more logical in the first place since I will end up drinking the whole pot of coffee before I leave for work in 2 hours.  Oh, and as for all that mumbo jumbo about coffee stunting your growth... not true at all!  I am still growing!  My vertical growth has slowed down somewhat but my horizontal circumference is steadily increasing.  And the caffeine is keeping my mind sharp.  I would not have been able to write or even understand this whole paragraph without being under the influence of caffeine.

Did you know caffeine was a drug?  I knew it was.... sort of, kind of like vitamin C is a drug... you just don't think of it as a 'drug'.  One afternoon after school as I sat at the table with the kids and their homework, my coffee mug full and steaming, my daughter looked at me and asked me why I drank coffee.  I told her that I liked the taste and she started crying because she didn't want me to be a drug addict.  I was completely thrown off balance because its a well know fact that I HATE drugs, and even had a problem with birth control pills which is why I have 5 kids instead of just 2....  So I calm her down and ask her where she got the idea I was a drug addict.  She pointed to my coffee cup. 

'Caffeine' she pouted.  Give me a break!  Thats a bit extreme to be teaching in school.  But all I could say was: guilty as charged.  I found out that nicotine is also taught as a drug that is abused by the new cirriculum, and while I don't smoke, and I appreciate that there is an anti-smoking campaign going on in the schools, I think it is really wrong to link cigarette smokers and coffee drinkers with the abusers of drugs such as cocaine and prescription drugs.  I am not a drug addict dangit!  I need some more coffee, sheesh!

Actually I've been drinking coffee since I was a child.  My parents were habitual coffee drinkers, I guess its in my genes because they drank coffee like some people drink soda pop.  They always had a cup before going to bed and would leave their coffee cups on the coffee table.  I, being the first one up, would finish off any left overs first thing in the morning.  I remember once finding a fly floating in one of the cups, and I merely scooped it out, flung it in the trash and drank the coffee anyway.  I think that was probably the first sign of my addiction.  I was 6 years old.

So here I am, almost 40 years later, and still drinking coffee like a fish drinks water.  Whoa, wait a minute... you know I've always heard that expression... like a fish drinks water... but has it actually been determined that fish do in fact drink water?  I find that really disturbing because they pee and doodie in that water, why would they turn around and drink it?  Yuck.  If I were a fish I'd probably die from dehydration!  Unless I were in a fish bowl full of coffee.

J

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you may have to start a coffee drinkers support group too. I am also addicted to the glorious bean, and have been known to remove a bug and keep on drinking. This morning I had to use a paper towel as a coffee filter.

Anonymous said...

More proof!

Baylie and I had that same conversation almost word for word a few years back.  Only she wanted me to go to rehab for my addiction to caffiene in the form of diet coke.  She said, "Mama, teacher says that drug addicts need help.  You need help and Daddy and I will get it for you. ...."  How can you say no to that... besides I needed a break.  BUT... alas, insurance wouldn't pay for rehab for caffiene addiction.  Oh well.

angie

Anonymous said...

One day at a time Dorn...go to half-caf first. Then wean to decaf...and caffeine-free soda. LOL Took me about 2 years, but I got off the hard stuff. ;-)  -B

Anonymous said...

Guilty here as well, I really feel like LESS of a person without my 5-6 cups of coffee a day! I guess sign me up for rehab! Funny entry!!!
Heather~

Anonymous said...

hmmmmmmmm....I'll be guilty with ya, dorn---if they ever outlaw caffeine for any reason, I will be one of those chicks standing on the corner to sell...anything...for a hit (kinda like the chicks doing it for crack now---we pick those up daily...what is the polite politically correct name???  ummmmm, heck can't think of it. "lady under the lamp post", i guess...yep, that'll be me...  hehehe c

Anonymous said...

Well, as usual you have given me my laugh for the day. The image of you a mere six scooping a fly out and salvaging the rest of the coffee cracks me up!! I have never liked coffee but I am addicted to Dr. Pepper the way you are coffee. Have a great night.
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Well ya know that most soft drinks have caffenine in them also.  And even chocolate has caffeine.
You can get addicted to caffeine.  Ever tried to quit drinking coffee only to get kinda shakey?  That's the caffeine withdrawal.  Caffeine is a stimulant.

That being said, I can't wait to go and get a large iced tea (oh, talk about caffeine!) and a hersery bar.  LOL


Kathy

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. The other morning when I woke up the power was off . The only thing I could think of was OMG   NO COFFEE! I just don't function unless I have a cup or six. Lucky for anyone who had to come in contact with me that day, the power came back on right away and the day was saved . Good Hot Coffee !

Have a great day.
R.C.

Anonymous said...

Caffeine is a drug--and very addictive!  It took me six tries to get decaffeinated, and you will get head aches and flu like symptoms when you tryto stop.  It is nasty.  Nicotine is more addictive than heroin, and harder to quit. (I am married to a pharmacist).  However, caffeine also enhances performance, so it is not all that bad. I had to quit because they wer searching for a reason that I lost babies. It wasn't caffeine.
When I do drink some, it is like I am on speed.

Anonymous said...

ROFL!! Oh, classic entry :0) I also suffer from caffeine addiction, and have no intention of giving it up *sip*
http://journals.aol.com/bigred3392/steppingstonesandcoffee

Anonymous said...

I hate coffee... the only time that stuff gets in my system is when I drink the vanilla cappichino or it's an ingredient in a dessert.

And, as usual, LoL, your hillarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please leave me a comment, I'm having comment withdrawals (I'm very addicted to journals): http://journals.aol.com/glopsblink/ATreasureTroveofGoodies

God Bless. :D