Friday, June 11, 2004

THE NEWS ACCORDING TO DORN

I don't have time for TV nowdays, except to watch the news and occasionally catch an episode of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.  I watch CNN only for up to date news, but my favorite news and commentaries are on Fox.  This is MY version of the week in brief.

Terry Nichols asks jury to spare his life when sentencing him for his role in the Oklahoma City bombing. He was found guilty of 161 counts of murder.  He stated that since the bombing he has found religion.  I say hang him and let the real Judge and jury pass sentence!

Today is the National Day of Mourning for former President Ronald Reagan.  I saw a report showing the line of people waiting to get into the Rotunda to view his casket.  It looked more like a line for an amusement park ride, people dressed in shorts and tee shirts, trash all over the place.  I would have hoped that there of all places and of all times people would be a little more respectful.  To be fair though some people were in line for up to 5 hours, thats an awfully long time.  I was just wondering though... did they have portapotties out there on the lawn cos I couldn't have stood there that long without, well, you know.... relief!

Ray Charles has also passed on.  I used to love watching him perform.  Now he will play with a different band.  Did you know he played for Reagan's innaugeration?  Looks like he'll play for him again.

Teacher in Rochester NY washes 10 year old student's mouth out with soap for using foul language in class.  The teacher is on administrative leave.  The student who had been suspended several times in the past, behaved for the rest of the day.  I personally do not believe in corporal punishment at schools... but I grew up in a time when it was allowed, and went to schools that practised it.. and it worked!  Time out and suspension works on some kids, but not all. For some it is viewed as a sort of vacation, they don't care about the fact that it will be a part of their permanent school record... they don't have to go to school!  Maybe a little hard labor doing repairs to the school grounds would do the trick instead of giving them a 'get out of class for free' card.

And for Falluja... I recommend a total evacuation of the city and then... 'Buh Bye!'

So there you have it, the weeks news, according to me.  And you also know now why I am just a blogger and not a news reporter or politician... or lawyer, or teacher, or even rich for that matter!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates. I didn't realize until now that Ray Charles died!! How sad. Have a good weekekend Dorn.
Missy

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I heard that he had died. He was only 73. I like your comment about  him playing for Reagan. Awesome! God bless, Beckie

Anonymous said...

There's something to be said for soap to control the potty mouth.  To this day I hate everything about Dial soap.  

~~ Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Ronald Reagan's death did not touch me much--I guess I was always upset about how he raped the Earth when hewas in office.  But Ray Charles, oh, I cried. Today in the van we all started singing "Hit the Road, Jack!"  I always adored Ray Charles.  BTW, I linked you to my journal, if you don't mind.  We love Queer Eye ourselves. They are just TOO cute.

Anonymous said...

when i was in high school.....they did adopt a saturday detention program. instead of getting a day off from school, we had to get up early and come in on "our time". when we arrived, groggy-eyed and pissed off, we had to clean classrooms, hallways, and weather permitting......landscape duties. anyways........you are very rich......... in talent and personality.

Anonymous said...

I think you have a great career ahead of you in journalism!

angie