Thursday, September 2, 2004

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE

I see that saying all over the place, on cars, online, in magazines. My question is.... why not?  Why isn't freedom free?  We all know that personal and national freedom comes at a great price, often costing lives.  As a nation we have come to terms with the cost and while we don't like paying it, we do to insure these freedoms.

But what about other freedoms?  When Art was younger he grabbed a pack of pudding cups because they had 'free' written all over them.  What the package really said was 'fat free' and 'sugar free', but the pudding was actually more expensive than the same brand that included sugar and fat.  You pay more for getting less... interesting concept.  Haven't they ever heard of the term 'you get what you pay for'?  You'd think if they're taking things AWAY, they'd charge LESS!  Its so hard to eat healthy these days because healthy food is so much more expensive.  You have to be rich to afford a healthy lifestyle, and the unhealthy lifestyle is so easy to fall into because of its afforability.  Remember when it was cheaper to eat at home than to eat out?  Not any more!  I can feed the entire family at McDonalds for less than it costs to prepare a simple meal at home.  Soda pop is now cheaper than juice, when once upon a time we HAD to drink juice because we couldn't afford to drink soda.  Wow!  Milk costs more per gallon than gas.  I give up.  No more strawberry snot for me.  Pour on the carbs baby!  Give me the fat!  Shovel in the sugar!  And watch my bank balance grow!  (hehehehehe, not really, that'll NEVER happen!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to think that so much was priced the correct way, and now it's visa versa. I just finished buying my school books which came to over $330 for just this semester!!! All this money to learn information I'll forget 1 second after the exam is over. If you add in the Calculus books I bought last semester that I'll be using again this semester, the bill goes over $550 dollars!!! Speaking of Calculus, and trigonometry, how is it that you say in another entry that you can't spell "trigonometry" and "calculus" when you spelled them in the entry itself? Tehehe, I love you dorn (but, not in "that" way). Now if you'll excuse me, I must go and be nosey about other people's lives for a while.

Blessings,

Glopsblink, or to spell things correctly, Globsblink

Anonymous said...

"aint that the truth........I went to the healthfood store to buy healthy......I left broke........McD's is a bargain........maybe that's why America has a weight problem, we can't afford to eat healthy.......bring on the supersize fries! LOL
~jerseygirl

Anonymous said...

I'M STARTIN' TO WONDER IF YOU SHOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE!! THE WAY YOU THINK......YOU'D WIN!!
I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK, LOVE YOUR JOURNAL, AND YOU!!
EVERY THING YOU SAID HERE IS THE TRUTH,  IT WAS A GREAT ENTRY!!
KIM.

Anonymous said...

You are so right. Healthy food is expensive. I don't understand that.
I agree with you bring on the carbs , sugar and fat.
Have a great Day.
R.C.

Anonymous said...

AMEN SISTER!!! PREACH TO THE CHOIR!  AMEN!
angie

Anonymous said...

Yeah..ur right..and its a shame..a damn shame..u would THINK they actually CARED about the POOR people right?! blah..yeah right!