Wednesday, September 15, 2004

THE HALLOWEEN MASK, or Rocky before her bath.

Now do you see what I have to live with? This is Rocky doing the hula, and then reading my favorite book on Shakespeare's Insults.   My kids love to Trick- Or- Treat at Halloween but in Colorado we need to find costumes that fit over snowsuits or other warm clothing.  This is her choice for this year.  Of course, with our luck we won't be able to find the mask come October 31st.

Halloween is a big thing in our family... not because we're pagan (we are not), but because we LOVE to dress up!  After our first freezing experience here with Trick-or-Treating in the snow, we've always had a huge urn of hot apple cider for the kids and parents who come knocking on All Hallows Eve.  This has become an expected tradition and kids we only see once a year come running to our house for the steamy beverage, often forgetting to collect the candy as well.  We are also known as a safe house for potty breaks, emergency phone calls, and a quick warm up (we've started setting up a firepit and heater since 2000).  And one year, I kid you not, when we offered a mother a cup of coffee, she asked for a beer in jest... and I gave her one!  Needless to say our house has NEVER been TP'd on Halloween.

(IF YOU WANT TO ENTER A PUMPKIN IN THE PUMPKIN HALLOWEEN AOL-JLAND PARTY YOU CAN GO TO THIS SITE...
PumpkinCarvingCornerJ-LANDSTYLE)

 

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think that is so great ,here also in nebraska it gets awfully cold come halloween we have been heer 4 years or so and have learnd the hard way!!!!i love her costune it is perfact were looking for costumes now my kids always love to be origanal but mom has a hard time putting it together!!!
well have a great night

Anonymous said...

I love it...I am like you Dorn, I will never grow up. I am 54 and still dress up for halloween. :)  If it isn't too cold I sit on the front porch, dressed like a scarecrow, real still. Then when the kids get close enough, I move. Get's them everytime and even gets the adults. :)
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Did you make this! It is too cool! Your kids are great!

Anonymous said...

IF YOU WANT TO ENTER A PUMPKIN IN THE PUMPKIN HALLOWEEN AOL-JLAND PARTY YOU CAN GO TO THIS SITE...

http://journals.aol.com/spurgins311/PumpkinCarvingCornerJ-LANDSTYLE/

THANKS

SHARON

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Halloween!!  Seriously, it is my FAVORITE time of year, I LOVE decorating my house, and giving out candy ... not to mention, dressing up myself AND my dogs!!!  I'm trying to find a convict outfit for Neely ... one of my Dalmatians.

Kasey

Anonymous said...

wish I lived in Colorado...this year will you be providing some hott totties for Halloween for us Mother's?  LOL  Sounds like fun things are a brew"n" at your house....

Stacy  http:/journals.aol.com/djzgirl71/Mylifewith5kidsonecatandalmostne

Anonymous said...

Is it time for halloween?!?!?!  Did I miss the rest of September?  I know I've been stressed lately but geesh!!!!  

Been missing your visits to my place.  I figure you're just as busy as I've been for a while.  Are you still planing on becoming a SAHM after christmas?  Maybe we'll have more time to "talk" then.

Hope you had a great day!
angie

Anonymous said...

THANKS DORN....FOR THE ENDORSEMENT.   :)
SHARON

Anonymous said...

My son's birthday is on Halloween.... we always loved celebrating!!!!!! Hope you have a blast. judi

Anonymous said...

awwww...sounds like the place to be on Halloween!

E

Anonymous said...

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays.  I used to love it going out with the kids when they were little. We kind of had an egg/flour/shaving cream fight in my kitchen (in jest) one year...that was so funny, but it took forever to clean up. My sisterinlaws claim that their hair was never so shinny, hehehe....Sandi

Anonymous said...

looks like shes having a ball

Anonymous said...

Just had to stop by. That's adorable, lol. Halloween brings out the kid in alll of us.
Nani

Anonymous said...

I love love love your Journal!!!!!  Halloween is my favorite holiday too and we do the firepit thing.  I also like to dress up a little scary for my youngest's friends when they come by.  For the younger children I usually have my husband approach them and assure them it is just make up.  I am not pagan either...just love being a kid again for at least one day a year....I even try to get the day off every year.  I dunno if I will be the grim reaper or a witch this year but I plan to have a lot of fun (and maybe wash it down with a wee bit of whiskey LOL).  Taketh Care.

Anonymous said...

I adore Rocky. I wish she and Tabitha could hook up. They'd rule the world.

Anonymous said...

That is so adorable!  The pictures just made me smile   :-)

Anonymous said...

too funny! what a charachter your Rocky is!  cute, cute, cute!
~jerseygirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

Anonymous said...

Dorn  this is precious!   I can't imagine what it's like to Trick Or Treat in the snow.  The coldest place I've ever lived is in Connecticut  but I didn't have a little one until after I moved away from there. I don't ever remember it being snowy there at Halloween in the entire 20 years that I live there   :)   Now I do remember snow at Easter time  :)

Vivian