Wednesday, September 1, 2004

HOMEWORK

My 12 year old daughter asked me to help her with her homework and naturally I was happy to help.  I dropped what I was doing and went to see this math problem that had her confused. 

'Hey... I thought you said math!'  I accused.  She informed me that it WAS math, it was algebra.  Well, from what I remember math was numbers.  Reading and writing were the ones with alphabets.  When I was in school 1+2 =3.  In her algebra book y+z =3.  Huh?  I'm sorry, but no wonder kids now days are so confused!

Do you remember when the subjects in school all had names with 2 or less syllables... like Art, Math, Science, Reading, Writing...  Now they have names like Triganometry, Calculus...   Do kids even need to know this stuff?  I've been alive for almost 44 years now and I've never had to use triganometry or calculus.  I don't even know how to spell them let alone what they mean!

And what do kids need $100 scientific calculators for.  In my time using calculators was CHEATING!  You could get suspended for using them! Last year my daughter learned 'estimating'.  She asked me to help and we worked out the exact answers the old fashioned way.  She got them all wrong, because she didn't estimate.  The teacher didn't want the correct answer, she wanted an estimation of the correct answer, and there for the correct answer was incorrect.  Does that make sence?  Nope, it didn't to me either.

Thats okay though cos my 3 sons, who are smarter than me because they can spell math problems, are willing to be bribed to help their sisters in times of crisis like tonight.  Math indeed!  Those are letters Professor!  Letters are for spelling words!  Numbers are for making amounts!  When was the last time you went into the store and tried to buy some milk, and the cashier told you... "Well, your estimated total is 1x+y dollars.  Will that be cash or credit?"

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...they are starting algebra EARLY. The first I saw it was as a freshman in high school. I think the only time I will ever use it again is when I help my son with his homework one day. LOL -B

Anonymous said...

I have a funny feeling if my granddaughter's or step daughter ever ask for help with home work , I'll be in trouble. lol
Great entry.
R.C.

Anonymous said...

hahaha, i loved this entry, because math wasn't my best subject in school.  i must agree, adding letters of the alphabet confused me too...and no, i have never used trig or higher math in my life either....and i am 50.  i am so glad my daughter is 18, graduated, and out of the house...........NO MORE SCHOOL PROJECTS AND HOMEWORK........YIPPPPEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!   blessings, regina
http://journals.aol.com/wumzels2/SEDUCTIONOFLIFE

Anonymous said...

LOL My oldest son has started on basic algebra, and you know I had to get my husband to help him, because I was never that great in math. I can add and subtract like crazy but any thing past that I have to get out lots of scratch papper. God Bless

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean.........and I thought I was soooo done with homework...........then I had to go and have children! lol.....Another useless thing taught in my day "Ball Gymnastics" when am I ever gonna wanna dance with a ball again??? lol

Anonymous said...

You non-math people just don't "understand" man!!! I'm a math major in college, with a minor in egotism and biggimus headimus. Now, I don't know what your daughter wants to become in life, but lets say an engineer at the moment. Engineering needs estimation when the math problem is too long or complicated or when the real answer can't be found, so you estimate the closest number to the one you can't find. Doesn't make much sense unless you understand limits and things that you learn in Calculus. I'll go now before you smack me upside the head for having a big ego at the moment (I'm having my second summer head cold, I'm allowed to be "snotty" at the moment). Okay, I'm really going now, bye. :D

Anonymous said...

I AM THINKING, THEY TEACH US HIGHER MATH SO WE CAN HELP OUR KIDS AND GRANDKIDS. :) I HAVENT HAD TO APPLY IT ANY OTHER TIME. THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT. :)
ANOTHER GREAT ENTRY. I ALWAYS COME HERE WHEN I GET OFF WORK TO UNWIND AND GET MY DAILY DOSE OF DORN!!!!!
KIM.

Anonymous said...

You are hot today.  Can't tell you how many times I've had that same discussion... since I can't add 2 and 2 I'm on the low end of the totem pole for being able to understand "MATH".. that isn't math anymore.  

Poor Baylie doesn't even bother to ask me anymore.. She calls her sister.

ang

Anonymous said...

omg i HATED math with a PASSION..even the ones WITH numbers..im so glad im not in school anymore.. ::sigh::